Friday, August 21, 2009

Time flies

As the older I get, the quicker time seems to go. On July 1st, 2009, I had finished my second year as Director. After two years, I continue to love my job and the challenges ahead. I feel very fortunate to be able to say that about one's occupation and employment. A lot of the job satisfaction has to do with the Board of Trustees and staff that I work with. The Trustees and staff are outstanding. Another aspect of the Director's position I find very rewarding is the community connections and people I meet on a regular basis. Knowing that I am contributing to our community of Wabash as Director is a very rewarding experience. So, I want to thank the Board, staff, patrons, and larger community for your support.

There is a great story I want to share that just happened recently. Some friends of my parents recently visited. The husband and wife live near Washington D.C. and the wife's father grew up in Wabash. She and her husband have three young children (elementary school age & younger). Besides seeing the parents for the first time in almost ten years and kids for the first time, the most satisfying aspect of their visit was the kids' enthusiasm and rapid excitement of public libraries and that they knew someone you worked in the library here in Wabash. When they found out I was the Director, these kids could not wait to visit our library. They were able to visit our library and I was able to check out books for them (on my library card) to read during their two day visit to Wabash. I am now known as "library man" to these kids. The awesome part was just witnessing these kids total excitement about libraries and what libraries mean to these kids. It is very gratifying to know I work in a place that provides such positive environment for people of all ages today.

As I mentioned in my last post, please make sure you check out the Fall Book Discussion and join us on September 17th, October 15th, and November 19th at 7:00 p.m. at the Library. The Book Discussion is being led by Phyllis Downey and we can not thank her enough. If you have not been to one of our book discussions, I greatly encourage you to attend. On September 17th, the book called How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster will be discussed. On October 15th, it will be Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. On November 19th, the book discussed will be Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. The Library currently has copies of How to Read Literature Like a Professor on sale for $10.00 at the Library's Circulation Desk. Even if you have not read parts or any part of the novel, please join us. It is a good time of learning from each other.

No comments: